tag: An Afropolitan in Minnie: Nostalgia

Friday, June 27, 2014

Nostalgia


Happy Friday beautiful people,

I trust that you had a great week. Hopefully, it turned out uneventful. I apologize for not being consistent with my posts, but I promise y'all that I am working on it. I would like to say that I appreciate everyone of you that stops by to see if I posted.  Please follow "An Afropolitan in Minnie" on Facebook or Instagram for my updates.


Summer is the perfect time for crop tops,  especially on those hot summer days. I know it's a trend that some of you have either come to love or loathe.  I like this one for the mere reason that I did not partake in it, the last time it came around.  I do agree that when it's not done right it can look a tard tacky and cheap but trust me, when worn right, it can be quite chic.

I do not think there is a right or wrong way to wear a crop. It can be worn a variety of ways.  A safe way to pull it off is to pair it with high waisted buttoms revealing just a sliver of skin.  It gets to be fun experimenting with buttoms, since the crops are usually very simple, so the more interesting the bottoms the better.   If the crop is simple then you may be able to pull it off with a bottom that may be bit over the top. If the crop is more decorative or embellished then something more simple will suffice.  But feel free to do a simple top and simple bottoms or be bold and do a matching top and bottom or an embelished top and an embelished bottom.

I  paired my daisy printed crop top with a high waisted cotton eyelet lace skirt. When I first ran into the top, I just couldn't pass it up. The sunflower print, a fashion staple of the 90s was everywhere. A cotton eyelet lace skirt or dress is always classic. Definetely, a piece that  should be in every woman's wardrobe, preferably in the color ivory or white.  I love how simple, soft and feminine it all turned out.  So ladies, go forth and rock your crops.

Have a fabulous weekend.

Peace & love,

Ifeoma














Photo Credit: Liz Nieves


OOTD:
Top: American Apparel(here)
Skirt: Old (similar here, here or here)
Necklace: H&M (similar here or here)
Bracelets & Earrings: (mostly vintage)
Bag: Pulicati (TJ Maxx)
Shoes: Anne Klein (old)
Lipstick: MAC Ronnie Red (limited edition similar here)
Nails: OPI Elephantastic Pink(here)



2 comments: